Sunday, April 13, 2008

Daiyuzan Saijoji Temples

Today I hiked from the Daiyuzan train station to Daiyuzan Saijoji Temple. I hiked through an old growth Japanese Cedar forest, up through a steep mountain area, to the temple grounds which contained around thirty (30) temples, not just one.

Click HERE for a description of Daiyuzan Saijoji Temple. This was easily the most beautiful and serene temple grounds that I have visited to date; it was beyond comparison.

There is a network of hiking trails nearby and, even though I explored a couple of these trails, I plan to return and hike along many more ridgetops. CLICK TO FOR LARGE IMAGES


While hiking through the cedar forest, here is the first temple I discovered:

You really must have a strong desire to enter the main temple grounds - here are the stairs leading up to the temples (yes, they are very steep).

After climbing the stairs, I walked through this ancient gate and entered the temple grounds.
Cherry trees and waterfalls decorated the inner courtyards.



Here are pictures of the interior and exterior of one of the 30 temples.





Well, that's all I have for the Daiyuzan Saijoji Temples - one of my favorite places in Japan.

0 comments:

Post a Comment