Saturday, April 19, 2008

Tsukiji Temple and Fish Market

Today, Saturday, I traveled to Tokyo's Ginza district, sauntered around the Tsukiji fish market, then entered the Tsukiji Hongwanji temple for a Budhist ceremony (see video below).

The Ginza district was packed with women's clothing high fashion shops and therefore of little interest to me. The nearby temple and fish market were much more interesting as was the music played for the Buddhist ceremony.

The fish market was a crowded maze of alleyways lined with mom-and-pop fish mongers and sushi cafes. Good-natured fish mongers and sushi cafe waiters competed for customers by singing out praises of their own fine products, explaining to everyone passing by why their food was the best. The noise, when combined with smells of fresh fish, seaweed, and cooking oils was pretty overwhelming, and I mean that in a good way.

Well, I couldn't pass up my chance to eat sushi at an authentic market like this one, so I ordered up some sushi at a small conveyor belt sushi cafe. I was served some of the best squid and urchin I have had so far! See Pictures Below and click to ENLARGE.


Tsukiji Fish Market



Tsukiji Hongwanji temple



Buddhist Ceremonial Music Video


0 comments:

Post a Comment